Get moving. Today’s sedentary lifestyle is not helping keep Victorians feeling their best.
Many people may not know that exercise does more for you than just help you lose weight or build muscle. Regular physical activity is a prescription for helping decrease stress; relieve depression, anxiety, heartburn and constipation; increase happiness; improve your love life and fitness level; and, prevent diabetes, heart disease, weight gain, osteoporosis and cancer.
Experts recommend that adults over the age of 18 need to be physically active 30-60 minutes, most days of the week, to stay healthy. Physical activity doesn’t need to be hard. Any effort you expend, especially if you are just starting out, will help. Even just a few minutes a day can improve your health and generate feelings of well-being. Every little bit counts.
Start small and build physical activities into your daily routine. Here’s a 10 minute plan to get things moving:
- Park the car 10 minutes from where you are going
- Dance to your favourite music for 10 minutes each day
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator
- Take a 10-minute stretching break at work – set a reminder alarm to help
- Walk or bike to work
- Get off the bus 10 minutes from where you work