You’ve spent ages researching and planning your special getaway. You’re all packed up and more than ready to leave it all behind for a week or two. Before you walk out that door, make sure that your plans include keeping everything safe while you’re away this vacation.
Take 15 – 20 minutes before you go to safeguard your home:
- ask a trusted friend or neighbour to check on your home every day, collecting mail and/or papers;
- use timers to turn lights on and off automatically and make sure no valuables are in clear sight of windows or doors;
- disconnect electronics like computers, stereos and TV’s that could be affected by unexpected electrical surges;
- update your home inventory and take photos or video of those items – particularly those great new Christmas gifts;
- load luggage discretely either in your garage or quickly into a waiting cab;
- keep travel plans off of social media and out of casual conversations until your return;
- be cautious not to turn the heat too low in case of a sudden cold snap; and,
- turn off the main water supply, which will limit damage from unexpected leaks.
Plan to stay safe this vacation – both at home and abroad. Read through our check list if you’re traveling out of country, to make sure you’ve protected your health and financial well being with the right travel insurance. Looking forward to seeing the holiday pictures on your return.
Information courtesy of the Insurance Bureau of Canada